Monday, December 1, 2008

accidents

On Thursday morning I climbed a small set of steps in the treatment room at work to get a catheter from one of the top shelves. Coming down I lost my footing and fell (I think my brain was thinking of the steps we have at home which have much wider treads). I think I put my left hand out behind me and bent my hand backwards. A soldier who was walking down the corridorhad picked me up almost before I knew what was happening, much to everyone's amusement!

Apart from feeling very embarressed and my wrist being a bit sore I was OK and continued with my work (we were particularly busy that day). However as the shift continued my hand/wrist became increasingly swollen and painful and after completing the obligatory incident form I was sent to see the casualty doctor. He thought I might have a scaphoid fracture although nothing was clearly visible on X ray so I have had it splinted and been off work over the weekend. I had to go back to see him today and as the pain and swelling are much reduced he thinks it is OK and I can move it again but have to have another X ray in a week's time just to be sure.

I was then just on my way cycling home when I saw an old lady who had fallen on the pavement and another old lady struggling to help her up. So my bicycle was abandoned whilst I helped her up and walked her slowly back to the sheltered housing near the hospital where she lives. She said her ankle hurt and she had a nasty graze on her elbow so I decided we had better go to casualty to get it cleaned up. Fortunately on the way we met the warden who managed to find the district nurse so I was able to hand her over with clear conscience and go and retrieve my bike. It's a good job bikes don't get stolen here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mum! You must be careful. You're only just recovering from your last injury. You're obviously needed and wanted at the hospital so don't go incapacitating yourself.

Love, Pete