Monday, November 17, 2008

Windsurfing

The passengers from the cruise ship never did get ashore on Thursday. Apparently it blew a force 10. However Saturday was sunny, relatively warm and a gentle breeze so I decided to accompany Simon windsurfing. Having not been for over a year and there being no rescue boat here to keep an eye on you I was feeling rather nervous. I donned as much neoprine as I could and Simon kindly lent me his hat which was great - my hair stayed dry although I had been under the water! The only snag was that I couldn't hear much as it covered my ears.

Anyway I got on better than I expected and we spent quite a long time sailing up and down in the harbour which is enclosed apart from the entrance which is known as The Narrows. The only problem was when we came to return to the slipway the offshore wind was really dropping and I kept getting tangled in the thick kelp that grows along the edge. It is like huge and very strong seaweed that kept catching on the fin of my board so in the end I had to swim and drag it.

At least I have got my confidence back a bit and will have another go when the weather is suitable.

No comments: