Monday, November 24, 2008

Leisure

Before we came we thought we would have lots of spare time to fill but we actually both seem to be keeping quite busy. I now have lots of shifts at work.
We collected the last of our freight a week ago and Simon has been setting up his new computer and other things that I don't understand. I have lots of packages and bundles in the garage which are the components for my polytunnel but progress on clearing a site for it is at a halt at the moment. Today is my one free day this week but it is very wet and windy.
This morning I visited the library to renew the books I haven't had time to read. This is in the community (secondary) school and is very well stocked with fiction, non-fiction, magazines, CDs and DVDs. I then went for a swim. The leisure centre is also attached to the school and has a gym and squash and badminton courts as well as a 25m pool. I just took out pool membership and you can swim as often as you like for£110 a year. It is heated with waste heat from the nearby powerstation and is usually really warm. It was unusually crowded today as there were already 4 people swimming but I often have the pool to myself.
Simon has been windsurfing regularly and I have joined him on a couple of sunny days. There are often sailing boats in the harbour.
Simon is also enjoying trying out his off-road driving skills. Yesterday afternoon we went to Cape Pembroke which is East of Stanley and has an old lighthouse. Simon found some challenging tracks to drive on and we walked around the point. There are always birds and plants of interest to see and we enjoy getting out for a walk.
There are lots of things you could get involved in if you wanted to including amateur dramatics, hand chimes, golf, cricket, Scottish dancing, spinning and weaving, darts and quizzes. There are also lots of local bars. The annual horse races are a big event here after Christmas, there is a fire engine pull next weekend, a raft race and carnival at Christmas, a marathon in March and the midwinter madness swim in June.
I'm not sure when I will have time for all the craft activities I brought with me. Maybe in those long winter evenings!

No comments: