Friday, December 3, 2010

This week



Tuesday was definitely the best day of the week. Since then it has been very cold and windy with heavy squalls of rain, sleet and hail and is forecast to continue the same for another week. As I write it is raining torrentially and just before this squall arrived there was a bright rainbow over the harbour.On Wednesday I went for a walk at Cape Pembroke. Well actually I got blown down the Cape and battled my way back against the wind. There are some interesting dunes with exposed layers of sand and peat. I'm not sure how they form but maybe different things get blown at different times depending on the direction of the wind.


Near the headland there is a lot of dense kelp and it all swirls around with the waves in the inlets between the rocks looking quite sinister. You can almost imagine yourself watching some science fiction film and getting drawn into it! It certainly isn't much fun if you get tangled up in it when windsurfing.


Yesterday I went to Surf Bay and found that almost the whole beach had become a lagoon, which the wading birds were enjoying. I suppose it was a combination of a high tide and the wind direction. I have been very surprised how much the beach changes since we have been here, with several feet of sand being washed away at times.

No comments: