Monday, July 5, 2010

Larks and newsbirds

I have worked my 2 nights and am busy today trying to catch up with jobs at home. I still need to pack for our holiday.

Yesterday morning after I came home from work I drove down to Surf Bay for a walk on the beach. It was very calm but cold. I took a few photos of two of the birds we often see there and in our garden.

These are long tailed meadow larks, also known as military starlings or robins. They are often in flocks, feeding on the ground but sound rather like noisy larks.


This is a dark-faced ground tyrant. They are often called news birds because they fly up close to you and look as if they are going to tell you some news or want to hear some gossip.

Last night and this morning we had cold sleety rain and a bitter wind. The surrounding hills are now all snow-capped. It is hard to believe that by tomorrow evening we should be enjoying tropical heat on Ascension Island!

No comments: