Thursday, June 17, 2010

June ramble

Last Sunday we went out with the ramblers. We drove out towards MPA and left our car near the main road. We then got into other people's cars and drove up a track into the hills. We then walked up onto a ridge with some rocky outcrops along the top and views down to the coast. It was quite wet underfoot and a cold wind when we started but the wind eased and the sun came out in the afternoon so it was very pleasant.


From the ridge we dropped down into the Van Tan valley. On the way down I spotted this unusual fungus.
The Van Tan river flows through a pretty valley with steep rocks beside it in places. There are actually very few rivers and streams here so it was particularly nice walking along beside it.


Further downstream Simon and Ross crossed over the river to cut back to where we had left our car.
I thought they might be going to get wet but they got across safely!


The rest of us continued down the river to the main road and then Simon picked up the other drivers and took them to collect their cars while we relaxed in the sunshine. Unfortunately we will miss the July and August rambles as we will be away on leave.

Since last weekend the weather has turned very wintry. I cycled to work in a blizzard yesterday lunchtime. When I came home it was very icy and my bike gears had frozen up so I was stuck in a low gear. I think I must have looked like a cartoon pedalling frantically along on the icy road!

We had more snow this morning but the sun is shining at the moment and it is thawing. However the forecast is for heavy snow tonight with gale force southerly (bitter) winds so going on an early shift tomorrow may not be fun. Anyway I must get ready for work now.

No comments: