Monday, May 10, 2010

Visitor


Last Friday we had a visitor in our garden. In fact I have seen a few of them around the area over the past few weeks. A group of these cattle egrets arrive most autumns but they do not usually survive the winter here.


He (or she) was very busy pecking around on the front lawn and seemed to be catching lots of earwigs and woodlice. As the earwigs have reached plague proportions both inside and outside the house I would have liked to be able to tame him and keep him but they are very shy.


This seemed an even more appealing idea when I woke up in the middle of last night feeling something wriggling around in my ear - is this why they are called earwigs?

The egret was in the garden again today but looking rather bedraggled and sorry for itself as we had gale force winds. It did not seem to be eating anything and I suspect will not live much longer.

No comments: