Thursday, January 29, 2009

progress and frustrations

On Monday I went back to the hospital, had the plaster removed and my hand X rayed. This showed that it is healing well so I am now wearing a splint and have to go back again in 2 weeks. I can take the splint off to have a bath which is lovely.

Well we eventually got the 8 holes dug (at least John did!) and the foundation poles sited into them for the polytunnel. Trying to get them firmly packed around with stones and rocks at the same time as ensuring they were in the right position, level and upright took some time but we more or less succeeded.
It was quite exciting to get the pieces for the framework out and start fitting them together. It was then that we discovered that the clamps that hold the hoops to the ridgepole were missing. If only I had checked it all when it arrived or even when we first started to think about putting it up. I rang the firm I bought it from and they are hopefully posting them out by airmail, but will they arrive in time for John to finish erecting it? Temporarily we have secured the joints with cable ties and duct tape. At the moment John is in the garage building the doors and door frames.
When work on the polytunnel came to a halt John decided to press on with the rockery which is very impressive and much better than having rocks and stones all over the garden. He worked really hard moving all the stones and getting them into position. I said I could give him a reference for landscape gardening. I just need to plant up the spaces between the rocks and hopefully by next year it will look really pretty.
Last night the sky over the harbour was particularly colourful so I took a couple of photos.

No comments: